Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Breast Cancer and Living a New Normal Life

What a wonderful article on April 26, 2010 in the New York Times. "17 Years Later, Stage 4 Survivor is Savoring a Life Well Lived" by Katherine Russell Rich.  http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/27/health/27case.html?tntemail1=y&emc=tnt&pagewanted=print

I can't help but share in the joy with Ms. Rich and my experience with breast cancer. I was an Oncology Nurse working with a team developing a new concept in home care in Michigan. And,our oldest daughter was just recovering from a near drowning accident and our family was focused on her rehabilitation. Then, I was diagnosed with stage 2 breast cancer in 1992 and elected to have a mastectomy and full course of chemotherapy.  Welcome to reality.

As a medical practitioner my specialty was pain control and death and dying. I was treating patients in extremely serious condition. My compassion and concern for my patients well being was all consuming. But I couldn't see cancer from their point of view.  It was truly a strange experience finding myself on the other side. I quickly discovered, first hand, the trials experienced with the initial diagnosis and ensuing treatment. My family pulled itself together and worked to get through this difficult period of time. I just wanted my life to get back to normal. Not. I had lost a breast, lost my hair, and went into peri-menopause. Inside I was a wreck. I was under therapy with a spiritual counselor and just trying to keep everything glued together.

I was surprised to find how few products were available for women undergoing chemotherapy. In fact, I had been discharged from the hospital with my drain tubes hanging out of my chest. My husband was in marketing at the time and found a fanny pack from one of his programs and we put the drain tubes in the fanny pack. It was primitive but worked. I went to a wig store to purchase a wig. My hair was falling out and they had no experience how to deal with me. I was frustrated. I hurt. I was looking for solutions. I wanted to be normal. I wanted to look normal going out with friends, shopping or taking the girls to the pool.

If there wasn't enough change in my life, my husband said why don't you find a designer and create a hat you can wear that will give you the freedom to cover a bald head and not look frumpy. I received so many positive comments that I offered these hats to boutiques across the country.

This new journey that began with the heart wrenching diagnosis of breast cancer has led me and my family in a whole new direction helping women experiencing cancer and undergoing chemotherapy and/or radiation treatment. Now I combine my nursing skills with my breast cancer experience to give back and provide support for other women with special needs. Now I can see both sides of the diagnosis of cancer and have a wonderful perspective to help women see through this frightening journey with a vision of living with a new normal.  800.497.7005  www.SusansSpecialNeeds.com

No comments:

Post a Comment