Tuesday, October 4, 2011

October 4, 2011

Faith, support system guide Pam Campbell through breast cancer diagnosis and treatment

Discussion

CULLMAN — Four years ago, in September 2007, Pam Campbell received a diagnosis that no one wants to hear — breast cancer. At 50 years of age, Campbell had gone in for a regular mammogram earlier in the year, only to be told that the results showed a suspicious area on her breast.

“They told me to come back in six months,” she recalled. “It wasn’t unusual; I had been having mammograms once a year since I was 40. Several times they had sent me to have an ultrasound because something didn’t look just right, but it never turned out to be anything to worry about.”

“That just goes to show you that we can’t become complacent,” she warned. ”I got complacent, I just didn’t think it would be any different than the previous times. Since then I’ve done a lot of research about my cancer,” she said candidly. “We each have to be our number one advocate for our own health.”

 At the time of the initial diagnosis, Pam’s daughter was about to be married. Her thoughts had been filled with guest  lists, snow white wedding cake, soft, sentimental music, flowing dresses and floral creations. The last thing she needed at that point in her life was to be dealing with breast cancer. “There was so much going on,” she said. “You just don’t factor in dealing with cancer when you are planning a wedding. It takes a toll on you when you hear the word, ‘cancer’.

“Actually, at that point I was so busy with my day-to-day life that I hadn’t kept up with my appointments that year,” she admitted. “Dr. Hoover and his nurse were instrumental in getting me up there because they noticed that I hadn’t been in for my six-month re-check.”

When she went in for the mammogram, the radiologist read the results and immediately recommended an ultrasound. “I just assumed that it wouldn’t be anything, in part because my mother had had several fibrocystic tumors, so I thought it was just routine.”

Pam received her diagnosis Sept. 24 at Cullman Regional Medical Center following a biopsy. Within days, Bosom Buddies, a local breast cancer support group contacted her. “I got my diagnosis on Monday, and by Wednesday they were calling to offer me support.”

Although she credits Bosom Buddies with helping her through some difficult times, Pam says it was actually almost a year before she could really talk to friends and family about her ordeal. “I guess I was still in shock. It was good to know that with the support group I had a number to call if I had a question or was scared.”

“I’m glad to know that we have such a good support group in Cullman. Often people need help with wigs or makeup or other things. Bosom Buddies helps women with things like that — things you might not think of. When I put on my wig for the first time it was amazing how much better I felt.”

Pam also credits her church family (St. John’s Evangelical Protestant Church), her work family (Mid-South Packaging) and of course her own family, with helping her to cope with her cancer diagnosis and treatments. “My family and friends lifted me up in prayer, even when I didn’t feel like praying. There were a lot of prayer warriors out there praying for me.”

“I feel truly blessed to have these people in my life. I have a job that allowed me to be able to continue working — if I’d had to stay home I would certainly have struggled with depression. Often the financial burden can add to the depression of having a cancer diagnosis.”

The first Bosom Buddies meeting Pam attended just happened to be around the Thanksgiving holidays. “The members brought their spouses and had a covered dish meal,” she recalled. “I think it was really helpful for my husband, Keith, to meet and talk with other husbands who were caregivers.”

Pam opted, with her doctor’s approval, to have a lumpectomy. The cancer had already spread into her lymph nodes. Chemotherapy and radiation treatments followed. “I feel very fortunate to have such a good team of doctors,” she said. “God has blessed me beyond measure with positive support during this battle.”

Pam advises both women and men who get a breast cancer diagnosis that there are people who have been through what they are going through, and they are there to help. “First off, I would tell anyone who has just received that diagnosis that I would pray with and for them. Secondly, I would share my phone number and give them the phone number for Bosom Buddies coordinator, Mary Dyer. She can tell people about treatment options. It’s such a relief to know that there is someone you can call who has answers.”

Dyer says that Pam has been an inspiration to others in the Bosom Buddies group. “She is a very supportive person who reaches out to others no matter what the situation,” said Dyer. “This year, even though Pam was going through treatments and wasn’t feeling well, she raised over $500 for our team in the Relay For Life.”

 “I have been told by some people that I have courage,” said Pam reflectively. “I read somewhere once that courage is fear that has said its prayers.”

“I cannot say that I haven’t been afraid through this journey, but my friends and family have helped me to remember that God is still God, and I need to leave everything up to Him.”

Pam’s faith, determination, attitude and support system have brought her through the trials and tribulations of breast cancer. For four years they have sustained her through her battle. Those same attributes are now seeing her through another battle — in May she received the news that she has bone cancer. “Fortunately is hasn’t showed up in any organs,” she said.

She is still considered a breast cancer survivor, and was a recipient of this year’s Life Inspiration Award. “Our definition of a survivor is from date of diagnosis, not final treatment,” explained American Cancer Society’s Mid-South Development Manager, Gidgett Overton. Pam remains as optimistic and energetic as ever. She continues to be active in the Bosom Buddies Support Group, does projects for Relay For Life, and is a wonderful ambassador for early detection and treatment of all types of cancer.

“One of the things I’ve realized through all this is that you learn to depend on God instead of yourself when life hurts the most,” she said softly.





The Details

For more information contact Gidgett Overton, American Cancer Society, Mid-South Division, Inc., Development Manager, 28 County Rd 278, Cullman, AL 35057

phone: 256-736-1506; fax: 256-736-2813; email: gidgett.overton@cancer.org

The American Cancer Society's Cancer Resource Network offers information, day-to-day help, and emotional support to anyone affected by cancer. For more information about cancer resources in your community, call 1-800-227-2345 or visit cancer.org anytime, day or night.

To learn more about Bosom Buddies, contact coordinator, Mary Dyar at 256-734-8729 or Pam Campbell at 256-709-4838, Pcampbell17@yahoo.com

The next meeting of Bosom Buddies will be held Oct. 17, in the Ava Maria Room at CRMC. Guest speaker Dr. Shane Sherffield will address women’s general health. Everyone is invited.

No comments:

Post a Comment