Friday, October 16, 2015

Cancer Survivor Gets Her First Post-Treatment Haircut in Moving Video

Inside Edition 
DeSoto, who was diagnosed with breast cancer in June 2014, had already had a double mastectomy and had undergone her first round of chemo two weeks prior. While at work, she ran her hands through her hair and noticed a large clump fall away. 
"This is when the reality of my situation hit me," she told INSIDE EDITION. "My world stopped for a minute."
Now, more than a year since her diagnosis, DeSoto's hair has slowly started growing back - and she has had her first haircut with the help of cosmetics chain Ulta.
In a moving video released by the company, stylist Feliciano Abad gives her a new look.
"My first thought when I saw myself in the mirror was 'I don’t look sick anymore.' I felt like Cinderella," she told IE.
In the video, DeSoto reads out a message before reversing it halfway through - changing its message from heart-wrenching to positive.
"Don't try to convince me that this disease is going to take away my beauty," she says in the video. "I'll never forget this feeling."
DeSoto's hair had slowly started growing back following six aggressive rounds of chemo that ended in November 2014. At first it was white, before turning grey and eventually her natural brown.
"It is a much longer process than I imagined," she said. "I have 2 to 3 inches of growth, and it has been almost a year."
She now has no evidence of the disease and continues to take daily chemo pills, she said.
"I will never be considered 'cured,' as the cancer did spread to my lymph system," she explained. "However, I know that regardless of how much time I have left, I have the rest of my life to be happy. I don't take a single moment for granted."

No comments:

Post a Comment