Friday, January 29, 2010

Losing Your Hair from Chemotherapy

I have been thinking today of all of us who have gone through chemo and anticipating hair loss. As a survivor I can share with you that when it happened to me I grieved over my hair as it was thick and naturally curly. Now in reflection, I can say that I liked my hair, it was one of the great things about me and the stylists who worked with me prior to chemo loved working with it. I think when the hair loss occurs that we all have to grieve of days in the past. We remember specifically how our hair looked on memorable special occasions. It is those fine details, that as females, we think about and remember fondly. My hair grew back grey and then there were 7 years of tamoxifen that changed my hair, its texture and throwing in menopause did not help things either. Although, I still long for the lost hair and the great pictures of me in better days, I think I am most grateful to be here. You see our youngest daughter was only 3 at the time of chemo days and she is now 21! How fortunate I am to have had the opportunity to parent her, to be her mom, to love her unconditionally and to drive her crazy. My husband said to me at the time, if you are going to lose your hair, you will lose it in style, so he booked a room at a wonderful hotel, we sat in a marble tub, pulled my hair out and drank champagne. How fortunate I am to have had my husband and girls around me to love me in spite of my imperfections. I am blessed to be a survivor and a thriver. Endurance and hope are the keys.

Therefore, at the store when I see each woman here clip off their hair, I shall never forget the feelings that I experienced and it comes back to me each time I am in the room with a client just beginning this process. However, once the event is over, there are of course tears but a sigh of relief that the anticipatory moment is over. Now it is on to looking at the finish line, meaning the end of treatment and new hair growth coming back.

Thank you to all of you who have given me the opportunity to spend time with you, to cry with you, to hold your hands and to offer the privacy and respect that you deserve during this time. I am most grateful. Susan http://www.susansspecialneeds.com/ 800.497.7005

No comments:

Post a Comment