Monday, January 25, 2010

Purchased Prior to Surgery

When I left the hospital my drain tubes were hanging out of my chest wall. As an oncology nurse I certainly should have known what to do. But, hey, this was about ME. My husband found a fanny pack to put my drain tubes in and the path was set to figure out how to meet all of the new needs I would now have. I had to create my own solutions.

There are many decisions that have to be made prior to surgery. I know this all can be overwhelming and complicated. To help make your post surgery experience more comfortable visit your Board Certified and Accredited mastectomy shop and talk with them regarding those products designed to address your immediate needs just after surgery.

  • Camisole with Kangaroo Pouch - There a wonderful camisoles with a built-in pouch designed to hold drainage tubes. They are appropriate for unilateral or bilateral mastectomy patients. They also have soft filler forms to provide projection and shape until you have healed to the point you are ready for breast forms or reconstruction.
  • Daily Planner - I purchased an inexpensive daily planner to keep track of my doctor appointments, chemo treatments, etc. This helped me stay on track and focused on healing. This in combination with a journal was the perfect combination for me.
  • Contact your insurance company to verify your coverage assisting in payment for your products.
  • Know your rights after a mastectomy. Call the Department of Labor Employee Benefits Security Administration toll free at 1.866.444.3272 or visit online www.dol.gov/ebsa for a free pamphlet regarding Women's Health and Cancer Rights Act of 1998.

http://www.susansspecialneeds.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment