Thursday, October 7, 2010

Hold On - Don't Label Me "Cancer Patient"

Yesterday, there was a great article written about nutrional support during treatment with chemotherapy. There were some great suggestions as to what to serve and make for those of us who at any time during treatment can experience a queasy stomach. The recipe featured was a grilled cheese sandwhich with brie cheese. Sounds yummy and theortically can slide down easily. However, I must admit while reading this informative article the reference was to “cancer patient”, the cancer patient can do this or can do that ,…when you are cooking for a cancer patient. And I thought….hey , hold it, I don’t want to be known nor labeled as a cancer patient. I AM MORE THAN CANCER. Yes, I experienced the diagnosis, went through treatment, had a mastectomy, but then I had the opportunity to resume a somewhat normal routine. Life is never normal again, but cancer is just a small part of my picture. There is life after chemo, yes hair grows back, skin returns to normal….I just have new needs.  I am still a Mom, a wife, a nurse, a daughter, a business owner etc. why does the system continue to call us cancer  patients. Why don’t they call us “patients living with cancer”. Don’t categorize me, don’t put me in the pigeon hole that this diagnosis brings. I know what is at stake and I am worth the dignity to refer to me as Susan, a woman who experienced treatment for cancer, not Susan  a cancer patient. Is there anyone out there listening, what do you think?  http://www.usatoday.com/printedition/life/20101006/cancerfood06_st.art.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment