Thursday, November 18, 2010

Cancer Survivor Share Story of Perseverance

Ann and Clarence Cazalot at the Pink Tie Gala at the InterContinental Hotel Saturday March 6,2010. - Houston Chronicle
Advertising
Everyone has a story to tell and Ann Cazalot is no different.
But Cazalot recalls the time in her life when she had no answers. It all started in 2006 when the two-time breast cancer survivor received her diagnosis.
As she tries to recollect those painful memories, Cazalot admits she had no feelings.
“I don’t remember how I felt when I found out. I just remember the feeling I had upon finding the lumps.’ Cazalot recalled. “Then my life became a whirlwind of doctor appointments, trying to filter through the plethora of information we were given decisions to be made about surgeries, radiation, therapy, and chemotherapy.”
 “I was shocked,” Cazalot said. “I’m the classic do-everything-right type of person. Not that I thought that I was exempt from it, I just thought that if you did everything correctly, it would help you not go down that road.”
But the 61 year old said she took it all in stride. After doctors discovered a lump in her breast, Cazalot said her doctor ordered a biopsy.
“When I woke up from the surgery, I already knew in my mind – in my heart. I already knew,” Cazalot recalled. “I wasn’t shocked or surprised at that point. I was glad I was diagnosed and I could forward.”
Cazalot was diagnosed with myoephethelial carcinoma, a rare type of cancer. The problem with myoephethelial carcinoma is that unlike other more common types of breast cancer, there is no specific chemotherapy to treat it.
            “I had a mastectomy and reconstruction surgery,” Cazalot explained. “My doctors felt strongly that they had gotten all the cancer so there would be no need for further treatment. Ultimately it recurred.”
Months after going through mastectomy and reconstruction, in February 2007 Cazalot was yet again diagnosed with breast cancer.
            “After my mastectomy, my doctor said it was important to check regularly for bumps and it was during my weekly exam that I found the recurrence,” Cazalot said. “My doctor did a needle biopsy to determine if the bump was cancer.”
Once the cancer reoccurred, Cazalot said her doctors decided that radiation therapy was the top bet for a cure, and chemotherapy to cover the base treatment.
“My doctors felt that we could say we did all we could to fight the disease at that point.” Cazalot recalls.
In the following months, Cazalot fought against breast cancer and the effects of radiation and chemotherapy with the motivation from her grandchildren, children and husband.
             “They’re the loves of my life,” Cazalot said with a smile. “I can’t imagine not being a part of theirs.”
            Almost three years after fighting against cancer, Cazalot said her goal has been to ‘live out loud,’ a phrase from a Christian song.
            “I feel like I need to live my life purposefully, to have a voice to help find a cure for breast cancer,” Cazalot said full of pride. “I hope and dream that someday a cure will be found, that no woman young or old ever has to go through this ordeal.”
            Cazalot explained that after you have gone through surgery, chemotherapy and radiation, you realize how strong you are and what inner force helped you get through.
             “Do not give up. Have faith. Everyday will get better and hopefully you will come out victorious,” Cazalot advises other women going through breast cancer. “I think that this is the most rewarding part of being a breast cancer survivor, and helping other women.”

No comments:

Post a Comment