Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Living Beyond Breast Cancer (lbbc.org)

You are exactly where you are supposed to be

By livingbeyondbc
This entry was written by Jeanne Egan who is looking forward to serving as co-chair for LBBC’s annual gala in November:
As 2010 closes and we begin a new year, I am reminded of something my yoga instructor often says, “you are exactly where you are supposed to be at this very moment.”  This year I feel this is particularly true. Prior to my diagnosis with breast cancer three years ago, I was content with being a busy mother of two young children. I occasionally toyed with the prospect of returning to the business world as a marketing professional.  In my former life, I managed marketing events for a major corporation.  It was exciting work that I always thought I would step back into once my children were in school full time.  But along with my breast cancer diagnosis came a change in my perspective.
living beyond breast cancer, butterfly ball, gala, east falls
Jeanne enjoys quality time with her family over the holidays.

“If I am going to work, it needs to mean something,” I told my husband at the beginning of last year.  I had been blogging independently about my breast cancer experience over the prior year but wanted to do more.  At yoga one day, a friend of mine mentioned blogging for LBBC. 
“Sure that sounds great.  It seems like a great way to get more involved.”  I happily replied when LBBC called to see if I was interested.  My guest blog was posted and I felt grateful for the opportunity to reach out to other women affected by breast cancer.  But I had a nagging feeling that I wanted to do more.    So I put a team together for the Yoga on the Steps event.  Doing yoga that cold morning last May on the steps of the Philadelphia Art Museum struck a chord with me and suddenly I felt a strong connection to LBBC.  Again, I felt compelled to do more.   I e-mailed LBBC’s CEO and Special Events Manager to see what else I could do for the organization.
“How about Co-Chairing our 20th Anniversary Gala?” They quickly asked.
“Uh…..well, I am not sure that I am ready to take on that role but I certainly will think about it.”  I replied, startled.
Well, I have to say, that wasn’t the job that I had anticipated they would ask me to do.  I thought that maybe they would need someone to do a little bit of volunteer work at the office or help with special events.  I was thinking baby steps and they were thinking giant steps.  Were we on the same page?  Before I committed, I wanted to think about it long and hard.  I went home and that night muddled it over with my husband and a couple of friends.
I looked at the pros and cons of taking on such an active role in the event.  In the end, all I could see were the pros.  It is an honor to be asked to co-chair such an important event for LBBC and it will give me the opportunity to be more involved and give back.  The other exciting thing is the change in venue for this year’s gala.  The gala is going to be in a wonderful space in East Falls, which is open and airy with a vibrant feeling.  Upon viewing the space, all I could say was “WOW.”  It is spectacular.
As we move into the planning phase for the event I realize that there is going to be a great deal of work ahead.  Instead of finding this daunting, I am energized by it.  There is nothing more exciting than creating something new and entirely different – and all for a good cause.
As I reflect on the events that have brought me to the exact place where I am right now, I feel invigorated at the prospect of 2011.  I am exactly where I am supposed to be. 
Are you where you are supposed to be? How has your breast cancer diagnosis been instrumental in helping you to pay it forward in the breast cancer community? We want to hear from you! Comment here or on our Facebook page.

No comments:

Post a Comment