Saturday, May 28, 2011


10 Simple Gestures of Kindness with Healing Power

posted by Ann Pietrangelo May 27, 2011 3:05 pm
  • <
  • 1 of 2
  • >
Living with Triple-Negative Breast Cancer
(#12 in a series)
In my post on 10 Odd Things to Say to Someone with Breast Cancer, I said, “Trust me on this … the most effective and most appreciated gestures are the simple ones.” Seriously, if you’re ever wondering if you should pick up that phone, send that email, or bake some cookies for someone who is ill, please don’t allow awkwardness to stop you. Do it!
Allow me to share some simple kindnesses that meant the world to me.
1. My breast surgeon hugs me and my husband at every appointment. It feels genuine, and there’s a certain healing power in that.
2. One day my oncologist followed suit and spontaneously hugged me because he “admired my spirit.”
3. I received a postcard from the mail carrier I don’t even know. She’d heard from a neighbor that I had cancer and wanted to let me know that she cared.
4. One day I received an express package from an acquaintance halfway across the country. What could it be? Cookies. Beautiful, tasty cookies! The enclosed note said that she knew it was “kinda lame,” but she wanted to let me know that she was thinking of me. No, it wasn’t lame, I assured her. It was a perfect way to express a kind thought and I smiled the afternoon away. And we made short work of the cookies, too.
5. Like mystery elves, there are anonymous people who donate hand made hats and blankets to cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy, and some who bring goodies like cookies and hard candies to share. These little treasures mean so much to the people receiving treatment. That blue crocheted shawl/blanket got me through some chemo sessions and will always serve as a reminder — not of chemo, but of the spirit of giving. Too bad the givers aren’t always around to see the recipient’s smile. When I’m better, I plan to do the same.
6. My long-distance family drove nine hours to spend a weekend infusing me with strength before I began treatment.
7. My long-distance kids took the time to visit with me, and spread out those visits so I could have plenty of one-on-one time with each of them. There’s no better tonic.
8. Then there are the people I hadn’t heard from in a long time, but who made the effort to call or send an email. I know it was awkward for some of them, and they were truly at a loss for words, but merely making the gesture is powerful enough.
9. Words cannot express how I felt when Care2′s founder, Randy Paynter, decided to “shine one glorious sunbeam of collective love” to “bring a little bit of karmic balance back to the world.” That particular sunbeam was aimed at me and, if I ever underestimated the power of words, I shall never do so again. Nearly a thousand people took the time to comment on the post, others sent a direct email, and still a few more sent cards. Words, when backed by true compassion, really do matter.
10. Friends, acquaintances, and people I’ve never even met have expressed concern through emails, comments on posts, and through Facebook and Twitter. It’s nice to check in and find a cheery note of support waiting like a gentle hug.
Sure, there are some people who surprised me by backing away, but to dwell on that would be a mistake. Those folks have their own problems and it’s not really about me.
Since the diagnosis of breast cancer, I’ve found it easier than ever to focus on the positive, thanks to the thousands of kindnesses, large and small, that have found their way to me.
How does one repay such generosity of spirit? By showing kindness to others, by shining a light on someone else who needs it, by saying a simple, “thank you.” These are not tasks to be checked off a “to do”  list, but a lifetime process.
Thank you.
http://www.care2.com/greenliving/10-simple-gestures-of-kindness-with-healing-power.html

No comments:

Post a Comment