Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Cancer can Kill, but it can't take away who you are
Cancer can Kill, but it can't take away who you are
Like so many others, when I heard the diagnosis of CANCER it sent shockwaves of fear throughout my entire being. All I could think about was that this was the disease that kills, kills, and kills again. However, now that I am 3 years out from my diagnosis, after a bilateral masectomy, 18 weeks of chemo, reconstruction surgery, 1 year of Herceptin, and continued oral drug treatment I am very happy to be a SURVIVOR. While on the face of it Cancer sucks (and yes that is a very technical medical term!) it doesn't have to take away all that is good in who you are.
Every time something was taken away from the person I was before cancer, my breasts, my hair, my health, something else took its place. I gained compassion, understanding, patience, and so many other stronger and better fibers of who I am now. So while this horrible diseases takes so many things away from us, including (sometimes) our loved ones - I like to focus on everything it gives us to replace that which is gone. Strength, Courage, Hope, and a better sense of all the good that exists in humanity.
I won't say that I'm happy I had to go through all of this, but I will encourage anyone who hears that dreaded diagnosis to be prepared to come out on the other side as a survivor who is somehow transformed to a better person because of the experience. I tried to find humor in every negative aspect (like getting my "rock star mohawk" before my hair fell out) and accepted all of the love and compassion that came my way. I am a far better person now - I just wish I could have gotten here without the big "C".
Andrea 
Occoquan, VA

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/clickToGive/photostory.faces?siteId=2&storyTag=cancer-can-kill-but-it-cant-take-away-who-you-are252&origin=BCS_FACE_BC-AWARE_ADGROUP_Story_CancerCanKill_5-23_CTG

No comments:

Post a Comment