Wednesday, July 27, 2011

What do you recommend as a healthful diet for those who have had breast cancer?

Answers (2)
     DrAttai (Physician - Surgery - Breast (Verified) ) - 07 /  
      27 / 2011
      In general, a relatively low-fat, varied diet is best for most  
      of us, whether we have had cancer, other medical 
      condition, or are just trying to optimize our health. 
      Personally I've never been a fan of "no fat", "no / low carb" 
      or "high protein" diets. By eating a variety of fruits and 
      vegetables, as well as lean protein sources and whole-
     grains and healthy fats, you can get most of the vitamins, 
     minerals, fiber, and other nutrients that you need. However 
     an occasional splurge is also fine - life is too short to go 
     without chocolate! Just make it good quality, dark if 
     possible.

     Specifically for women that have been treated for breast 
     cancer, soy is very controversial due to the fact that it can 
     have estrogen-like properties. I recommend avoiding soy 
     in supplement or highly processed form, but moderate 
    dietary amounts of good-quality, minimally processed soy 
    foods are probably save. However this is an area of 
    ongoing research and recommendations may change over 
    time.
·          
      member682  I am an estrogen + survivor of almost three 
      years, and early on in my recovery, I decided I needed to 
      lose a lot of weight in order to reduce the estrogen being 
      produced by my fat. I have lost almost 35 pounds in the 
      last year or so. A big part of this was due to changing my 
     diet along the lines that Dr. Attai has suggested. Michael 
     Pollan's advice is what I follow, "Eat food, not a lot, mostly 
     vegetables." I have virtually eliminated processed and 
     refined foods, and eat a mostly vegetable and grain diet. 
     My protein sources are organic dairy, beans, and fish. I 
    avoid refined sources of soy, and other plant estrogens, 
    like lentils. However, I find that exercise and physical 
    activity is an essential companion to dietary changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment