Saturday, December 1, 2012

RIDING SHOTGUN ... ONE YEAR AND COUNTING


One year ago today I sat in a surgery waiting 'lounge' at Princess Margaret Hospital while Katie went under the knife.  Accompanied by two good friends (admittedly I wasn't very good company) I waited with fear and loathing for the post-surgery briefing by the most capable Dr. Michael Reedijk.
Today, I sit at a dining room table in a condo in Orlando just having returned from another visit with the kids and Katie to Disney World.
Given my druthers, I will choose this activity over last year's in a New York minute.
And while that may seem obvious there is a juxtaposition of emotion on this, day 366.  Our family has undergone a journey no one would choose and yet, we have all grown stronger from it.  Or, at the very least, we have learned what it means to endure the vicissitudes of a life-threatening challenge and how the single most important lesson to be learned is to maintain belief in each other.  And, how the collective spiritual power of friends and family can right the ship when your entire life's cargo appears ready to become nothing more than common flotsam and jetsam.  And, how truly necessary it is to embrace the opportunity this horrid episode provides for self improvement and collective growth in family consciousness.  And, how you absolutely may begin a sentence with a conjunction when it serves a relevant purpose!
I took this photo while we were riding the spinning cups on the Mad Hatter's Tea Party at Disney's Magic Kingdom.  It was apt since this ride is partly symbolic of my family's journey since this time last November.  Just look at my beautiful wife!  Just see how the love for her boys emanates and how the spirit of her re-birth envelopes them with a force of caring, respect and genuine love.  Just look at my beautiful boys and how they are turning so rapidly into little men and how the sense of wonder they have for life glows.
So a short note today to wish my darling Katie a very Happy Re-birthday.  I know we're not done.  I know challenges await.  I also know though that this trek has borne great fruit and will stand us in good stead regardless of the challenges we have yet to face.
And to all my readers, to Katie's Karma Corps and to the incredibly wonderful people at Pigeon - may Wakonda shine his everlasting light of love and protection on you.
http://www.facingcancer.ca/ridingshotgun/2012/11/30/one-year-and-counting/

No comments:

Post a Comment