Friday, December 23, 2011

Son’s hair-razing support for mother facing chemo

Wendy Larkin, who has shaved her hair off ahead of chemotherapy treatment, with son Robyn 
A CHIPPENHAM woman with secondary breast cancer says she has received the best Christmas present ever after both she and her son shaved their heads together.
Wendy Larkin, 68, of Pew Hill, underwent a mastectomy in 2007 after being diagnosed with primary breast cancer, and was recently told she has entered the secondary stages of the disease, which is affecting her bones, liver and lungs.
The grandmother-of-four was visited by her 38-year-old son Robyn, a graphic designer who lives in London with his family, and the two decided to shave each other’s heads.
“Rather than losing my hair by the handful, Robyn shaved my head this week and asked if he could come out in sympathy,” she said.
“He shaved me, I shaved him and I think this is one of the best presents I could ever have had this Christmas. His comment was, ‘It will be the only time I will have had less hair than dad’.”
Mrs Larkin, who has three sons, will be joined by the whole family this Christmas, including relatives who live in Los Angeles.
“I think it doesn’t help anybody to dwell on it,” she said.
“I am a practical person, and you have to get on with these things. After the mastectomy, I chose not to have a fake breast because really, if it’s gone, it’s gone.
“I have a wonderful support network. I have done a lot of work with St Andrew’s in Chippenham, and I have many friends who I know are thinking of me and keeping me in their prayers.
“I want to have my life, and cancer will have to work around that.”
Mrs Larkin, who has been married to husband Keith for 43 years, usually wears a head scarf.
“My young grandchildren are visiting me, and I don’t want anybody to be frightened,” she said. “It is wonderful to be surrounded by family for Christmas. At this stage, we don’t know if I’ve got another Christmas left.”
She said shaving her head was an act of defiance against the six rounds of chemotherapy she will endure against the cancer.
“It’s about taking back a bit of control,” she said.
“It is one of the worst side effects. Can you imagine your hair falling out every time you run a hand through it? I wanted to help keep the spirits of cancer sufferers up with a bit of fun.”

No comments:

Post a Comment