Thursday, February 23, 2012

Cancer Veteran or Cancer Survivor?

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Play
00:00 / 00:00
For individuals facing cancer, the battle is a personal one, and whether one lives or dies, the experience is always traumatic. Mary Elizabeth Williams, a staff writer for Salon, has been sharing her own cancer story on the website over the past several months. Last month, after undergoing experimental trials for her metastatic Stage 4 cancer, her doctor told her that her tumors had disappeared. 
Mary Elizabeth is what the cancer community refers to as a survivor. But in her opinion, survivor does not quite define what she and many others feel like after treatment.

GUESTS:

 Mary Elizabeth Williams

PRODUCED BY:

 Kristen Meinzer

Comments [4]

Miriam from NJ
My first bout with breast cancer was when I was 28. Since then, I had two more tumors (new tumors, not recurrences). I have had three courses of chemotherapy, radiation, countless biopsies and screening tests. I am now 64. My last round with breast cancer was 10 years ago. Living with cancer is a bit like sitting under the sword of Damocles. And while the fear does recede over time, I will never stop looking over my shoulder. Despite this, I am grateful that I have lasted this long and have been able to raise my son (born after my first cancer episode, over 30 years ago). While there have been some tough times, on the whole I have enjoyed my life and hope to continue to do so for some time. To what can I credit my long-term survival? I had good medical care and have been conscientious about following protocols, but frankly, it's mostly a matter of luck.
Feb. 23 2012 11:02 AM
Vote this comment up Vote this comment down Score: 0/0 
Flag for moderation
PATRICK from MIRAMAR, FL
TOP OF THE MORNOING CELESTE; HAPPY THURSDAY!!
I'M AN 11 1/2 YEAR SURVIVOR OF BASE OF TONGUE CANCER. HOWEVER, LAST YEAR THE OTHER SHOE DROPPED, AS THEY SAY, AND I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH A TUMOR AT THE ENTRANCE OF MY TRACHEA, WHICH WAS CAUSED BY THE RADIATION, SO I'M TOLD, THAT I HAD FOR THE BOT TUMOR. I'VE HAD A FEEDING TUBE SINCE MY FIRST SURGERY, AND NOW I AM A TRACHEOSTOMEE, AND SO FAR UNABLE TO SPEAK SINCE MY LAST SURGERY IN 6/11. I LIVE AN ACTIVE, HAVING AS MUCH FUN AS POSSIBLE,NEW NORMAL LIFE AND DON'T THINK ABOUT BEING A CANCER SURVIVOR MOST OF THE TIME. I DID STRUGGLE WITH WHETHER OR NOT TO SEE MYSELF AS A SURVIVOR, BUT I FINALLY ACCEPTED THE REALITY, AND HAD TO ADMIT THAT I HAD BEEN THRU A WAR AND THAT I AM IN FACT A SURVIVOR. ALL IN ALL, I'M JUST HAPPY TO BE HERE! BY THE WAY, I'VE ALWAYS LIVED A VERY HEALTHY, ANTIOXIDENT LIFE (E.G., RUNNING, WEIGHT LIFTING, SURFING, HEALTHY DIET, NO SMOKING, ETC). CANCER IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY DISEASE..............
Feb. 23 2012 10:22 AM
Vote this comment up Vote this comment down Score: 0/0 
Flag for moderation
Betsy from New York
Cancer is random, complex and unpredictable. I am a 14 year breast cancer survivor. Based on my surgeon's notes, my oncologist said that she had gotten all the tumor. Nevertheless, I did low level chemotherapy. Theoretically, there is the possibility of a recurrence. I am often asked about cancer. I am frustrated that when I answer that one size does not fit all, that even with breast cancer there are hundreds of possibilities of outcome, treatment or whatever, my comments fall on deaf ears. Among those who have never had to face it, there are many weird fantasies about it. They are put there by the ignorant media and are very hard to penetrate with the facts.
Feb. 23 2012 09:48 AM
Vote this comment up Vote this comment down Score: 0/0 
Flag for moderation
Amy Malaney from Farmington Hills, MI
Hi Celeste,
I am not sure if you realized after you left Detroit that I was diagnosed with psuedomyxoma perotonei a rare form of appendix cancer in Fall of 2009. I went through very extensive surgery and HIPEC which is a heated chemotherapy at the University of Pittsburg Medical Center. I just got my 2 year clear. As far as being a survivor, I find it such an unusual term to be attached to my name. I feel more like I took care of things researching and finding the best treatment out there and now I move on with my life just a little wiser about life and how we should live every day because we will not live forever. I was told after my surgery that I would be living feeling a new normal, which is what I am doing. I am not choosing to label myself, but just to make sure that my life matters. If you want to talk about it more, let me know. I would be happy to chat.
Amy
Feb. 23 2012 08:01 AM
Vote this comment up Vote this comment down Score: 0/0 
Flag for moderation

Leave a Comment

Register for your own account so you can vote on comments, save your favorites, and more. Learn more.
Please stay on topic, be civil, and be brief.
Email addresses are never displayed, but they are required to confirm your comments. Names are displayed with all comments. We reserve the right to edit any comments posted on this site. Please read the Comment Guidelines before posting. By leaving a comment, you agree to New York Public Radio's Privacy Policy andTerms Of Use.

No comments:

Post a Comment