Friday, March 16, 2012

WEEKLY ROUND-UP Journeying Beyond Breast Cancer

Weekly Round-Up

girl_with_lassoTime for this week’s round-up of the best of the blogs which I’ve read over the past week. These are the posts that have moved me, taught me something, inspired me, and which I’ve wanted to share with you. Remember, if you have written or read a post recently which you would like me to share with readers, then please leave a comment below.
“We have a new Army of Women Call to Action.  Everyone, pay attention….. YOU… in the corner.  Don’t you DARE click away from this page until you check it out……”
Not my words, but AnneMarie  exhorting everyone who can, to do their bit for breast cancer research..which is a call taken up by Debbie on her Cancer Warrior Wednesday post and Renn on her blog The “Big C” and Me. And why do women like Debbie and AnneMarie and the other Army of Women volunteers do what they do? I am guessing here, but I think my guess is correct, when I say that they do not want other women to have to go through this insidious disease of cancer. We none of us ever want to go through it again, but as Nancy of The Pink Underbellywrites,  cancer lurks in our past, our present and fear for our future:
We may think we’ve dodged a bullet or done our time or earned our freedom or whatever metaphor applies, but the truth is, it’s random and it’s scary. The periodic scans that make up the fabric of a cancer patient’s life are unnerving. There’s a delicate balance between wanting to be normal and being realistic. We hold our breath for the “all clear” while awaiting the blow that once again knocks the wind out of us and shatters our fragile peace.
A huge part of the fear of a cancer recurrence is fear for our family’s futures andPhilippa has touched on this with her post Achingly Familiar?
This week, Nancy is dealing with the adjustment to a new oncologist and reflecting on how cancer has made her much more adaptable (she’s had to be!).
Kathi is examining the financial burdens imposed on us by a diagnosis of cancer and indirectly it is the topic of financial support from a well-known breast cancer organization (or should I say lack thereof) which sparked off the latest post from cancerfreetobe.
In her “fight against the useless and harmful” Candida has written a great post on the stupid things people say to those with cancer.
I was incredibly moved by a post by  Cassie McDaniel this week and think it should be mandatory reading for all healthcare professionals.
A delightful post on celebrating the joy of little things from mainleyhopeful and on the same theme of joy, Beth has shared the story of adopting her beautiful baby girl Ari, and how much joy she brings to her life. 
I loved Jen’s post on friendship and her  ”champions”.
More on decluttering our lives and wonderful poetry from Lois Hjelmstad and decluttering or rather downsizing is on the agenda at Jan’s blog too (also take time to check out the gorgeous picture of Jan as  a little girl – it’s like a painting).
The latest post on Time To Consider The Lillies was inspired by the news  that printing of the Encyclopedia Britannica is to cease. The nostalgia of this post resonates deeply with me, but I also find it interesting how Yvonne draws a line from the old to the new,  as she looks forward to the ways in which we now get our information online and the opportunities we have to interact with that information and those who disseminate it.
One of these great ways to connect is through Twitter and Jackie gives us 4 reasons why Twitter is a great health resource. As I have written here many times,  I am excited to be a part of this changing paradigm of patient/medic interaction and patient-to-patient support, facilitated hugely by Web 2.0 platforms like Twitter and I can’t wait to see where it will take us in the future.
Back in the days when I was lost in other worlds through the pages of the Encyclopedia Britannica, little did I dream how small our world would become and how many of the exotic places I read about (everywhere that wasn’t Ireland was exotic in those days!) I would grow up to visit. And someone who is really getting to experience other worlds is Terri as she continues her Fresh Chapter adventure, having arrived in Rwanda.  Terri is also the featured guest blogger in Tami’s Miracle Survivors this week.
Now, I’ve had my fair share of recognition for this blog and it’s been a real thrill when it has happened, but never have I been recognized quite like Florencehas. Check out her blog to see just who has been reading and loving her work this week.
Maura who blogs at up close and personal is pondering the nature of resilience. In a post that will resonate with many of us she writes:
I hear that word so often. It is said to be “the key” to recovering from difficult passages in life. I struggle to understand what resilience is exactly, or how one might acquire more of it.
I missed out on this beautiful post by Lani where she wrote once more of her sadness on Rachel’s passing (this was the week that she, Rachel, Nancy andSarah were due to meet up).  I am so moved by what was said to Lani by Deena:
You know, there’s a Mexican saying. A person dies three times. Once when their heart stops, once when they are buried, and once when the last person says their name. Rachel’s voice was so powerful, so important. She will be with us for a long long time.
I was thinking of these words again as I read the latest post on Bringing Up Goliath where Stacey’s brother, Mark has written movingly on the occasion of the twelfth anniversary of the death of their beloved mother.
So my final thought for you all this week is that we may never stop saying Rachel’s name and the names of all those dear ones who have passed from this life and that we do all that we can to honor their memories and support each other in carrying on without them.
Until next week.
Yours with love
Marie xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment