Friday, June 17, 2011

Val Armstrong's Breast Cancer Diary


Val Armstrong
Val Armstrong 
BBC Radio Cumbria
On 7 July I was diagnosed with breast cancer for the second time.
The decision was made that the right breast would be removed now, the left breast will be removed in time.
This is a record of my time between finishing work on 1 August 2010… until my return at some point in the future.
Saturday 30 April 2011
I removed more of my stitches when I came out of the shower this morning.
The whole scar was covered in adhesive strips and each has to be pulled off one by one. I've been taking them off slowly and methodically over the past few days. The problem I have is that the area is sore to touch and I don't want to fiddle too much with it.
One part seems a little raw. Perhaps I'd better leave the strips along that bit for now.
Sunday 1 May
What a day!
The pain became too much for me to bear today so I sought advice from staff on the ward at the Cumberland Infirmary where I was discharged from just last week.
It was suggested I go over to the hospital and seek treatment through the Accident and Emergency department.
I went over at 1700 GMT, was seen immediately by the duty doctor in A&E who suggested I wait to see the on-call Surgical Registrar who was busy in theatre. I was then re-admitted and sent up to the assessment ward.
The Surgical Registrar dealt with my problem and managed to aspirate just over half a litre of fluid from my left breast. What a relief. I was sent home from hospital four hours after arriving.
Monday 2 May
I've had a pain-free day.
What a difference it makes.
I've been extremely careful not to irritate it or set the throbbing off again. But having that fluid drained last night eased the pressure and took away the pain. I'm now laying in bed wondering which side to try to sleep on.
I think I'll try my right side with the pillow hugged close to my chest again as it keeps me stable.
Tuesday 3 May
Val is signed off for another month by her GP
Val is signed off for another month by her GP.
I returned to the hospital today for a scheduled appointment to have my breast drained again.
We decided to postpone it until Friday as I wasn't in too much discomfort and to avoid risk of infection they only like to drain twice a week, at the most, and seeing as I'd already been drained on Sunday by the Surgical Registrar it would mean I couldn't be helped again until after the weekend.
I also popped to see my GP today. We discussed my continued difficulty sleeping. It was suggested I try some tablets to help me sleep. I declined the offer.
She signed me off work for another month.
Wednesday 4 May
Yet more flowers arrive for Val
Yet more flowers arrive for Val
I seem to have developed a skill in flower arranging.
I've had so many bunches of flowers sent to me over the past months that I've had to learn how to look after them properly. Even more flowers arrived today.
It's true what they say about how a bunch of flowers can cheer you up.
Considering my house has been like a florist's shop since August there's been a lot of 'cheer'.
Thursday 5 May
I spent this morning cleaning the house - slowly.
There are jobs I cannot do - ie: cleaning windows, moving furniture, wiping blinds, even stripping beds etc is just too much.
Luckily for me my niece came to help. It was a long slow process but with the added help from Mum and a few cups of coffee - the three of us got through it.
Friday 6 May
Back to hospital - I was ready to have my breast drained again. It was throbbing a lot through the night.
I put that down to the extra activity with cleaning yesterday. 300ml of fluid was drained. I reckon I've now got a good excuse to ease up on the cleaning!

No comments:

Post a Comment