Friday, January 6, 2012

Breast Cancer Diaries: Healing

While I did progress in physical therapy, major miracles did not occur, and so I’ve had to face the fact that my wheelchair is my ‘forever friend.’ Oh woe is me, I thought. That is until today, when I met a group of people who could not see.



Now that I have completed radiation treatments for my breast cancer, I feel as though I can move on with my life. Before breast cancer surgery, the doctor prescribed physical therapy so that I would get stronger. While I did progress in physical therapy, major miracles did not occur, and so I’ve had to face the fact that my wheelchair is my ‘forever friend.’  Oh woe is me, I thought. That is until today, when I met a group of people who could not see.
A friend enabled me to get a part-time job through the Riverside County Department of Rehabilitation as a reader for visually impaired (blind), clients.  I spoke with a client, Ed on the phone and we made arrangements to meet at the Rancho Mirage Braille Institute.
I arrived early and introduced myself to some of the clients. I was touched by how friendly and personable they were. I felt accepted. I learned that 96 clients were scheduled to be there, and most stayed from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., with an hour break for lunch. During their day they attend classes such as adaptive cooking, sensory awareness, horticulture, home management, exercise, art, knitting, sewing and other enrichment and recreation classes. Most of the classes are taught by visually impaired instructors.
Then I met Ed. He has cataracts, glaucoma and a macular pucker. As some of the other Braille Institute’s clients, he is not completely blind. I assisted Ed in filling out some forms and then he took me on a tour of the institute. He showed me the library of books on tape. One librarian told Ed that a new tape came in that she thought he would enjoy. That is an example of how helpful and thoughtful the staff and volunteers are. 
The tour started to have a theme of what was in addition to what is.  We walked by several classes in session, but we also walked by an outdoor grassy spot that Ed told me used to have an in ground swimming pool.  Back inside was a kitchen and cafeteria equipment that was no longer in use.  Lunch had been prepared and sold in between classes.  Now all clients must bring their lunches.  There also used to be a student store where items were sold that assisted and enhanced living skills for the visually impaired.  It seemed sad that the institute has been shrinking, while the number of clients they serve has grown.   I wonder if there could be a funding miracle that could save some of the lost services?
Back in the student lunch area, Ed opened his zipped lunch container and pulled out a container of peanuts in their shell.  “Yes, my lunch is peanuts and water!”  said Ed, ironically.   He told me at one time he worked for General Dynamics in San Diego, owning a half million dollar home, three cars, and took a Hawaiian vacation three times a year. Since General Dynamics shut down, Ed has been downwardly mobile.
This slide was enhanced by a broken leg and further job losses. At his lowest point, Ed lived in his car for a year, spending the night parked at Walmart in Hemet. It got as cold as the 20’s and into the 100’s in the summer. Now Ed has a mobile home where he pays $400 a month for the space. He receives $700 a month in Social security. That is when I could understand why he was eating peanuts and water for lunch. How many steps are any of us away from being homeless? It makes me fell so thankful for my husband because I think I might be homeless without him. 
How much more significant did my supper of sausage and spaghetti seem tonight?  So thankful for what I have. I filled out a volunteer application at the Braille Institute. I cannot think of a better place where I can feel accepted and helpful while at the same time being able to forget my own shortcomings.

No comments:

Post a Comment