Tuesday, January 17, 2012

One in Eight Hits Home

One in Eight Hits Home
2105 post surgical camisole
Denise Landy and Michelle Raffety are both very visible members of the Amoena U.S. team – and both incredibly good at their jobs. Never was the phrase “one in eight women” more meaningful to our company than fall 2010, when they were almost simultaneously diagnosed. We are incredibly lucky to have breast care resources right at our fingertips, and we mobilized together with their friends and families to see these two women through their surgeries and treatments.
Now, Amoena Life asks them to share what it’s been like to work for one of the world’s largest breast care companies when you, yourself become one of the women Amoena serves.
AL: Tell us your breast cancer details: Your age at diagnosis, your specific cancer, your treatment plan, and where you are in that plan.
DL:  I was 45 years old, and diagnosed with HER2-positive breast cancer in my left breast. The lump was discovered during a yearly mammogram. A subsequent MRI revealed suspicious areas in the breast and it was recommended that I have a single mastectomy. Given my young age and the aggressive nature of my cancer, my oncologist recommended an intensive 5-month chemo treatment (infusions every 2 weeks initially and then weekly), and 8 additional months of a less invasive infusion (Herceptin) every three weeks. Though I won’t finish treatment until December, I believe I’ve made it through. My hair started coming back in April, my energy has recently come back, and I feel (and look) like a new woman.
MR: I initially felt pain in my breast in 2008, but a mammogram then came back clear. I went to my doctor again in 2010, due to continued pain in my breast. I expected to find nothing wrong; I thought the pain was from my active lifestyle. Of course the results of that visit revealed different – at age 37, I had two tumors on the right, both hormone-based cancer, and after surgery (bilateral mastectomy) we learned there was also lymph node involvement so I would need chemo. I’ve completed that, but have recently been told that I also need five weeks of radiation, and just started last week. On the bright side, I was declared cancer-free at my last appointment.
AL: What are your primary job functions at Amoena?
DL: Prior to my diagnosis, I was both the Northeast Regional Manager which typically involves quite a bit of travel, and National Accounts Manager. Once diagnosed, it was determined that my time should be spent developing our National Accounts and distribution, which has enabled me to stay closer to home.
MR: I am the Amoena warehouse manager. I am responsible for all the inbound and outbound shipments for Amoena U.S.
AL: After the initial shock of being diagnosed, how did you feel about the fact that you work for Amoena?
DL: I found it ironic that I had joined Amoena just three years earlier; that I, in fact, would become one of the women we serve to help. My family worried that I would be burdened by having to deal with breast cancer 24/7, both personally and professionally, but I never felt like that. Now I just have a much better appreciation for how important our products are to women. I am proud to be part of this.
MR: Prior to working for Amoena I was oblivious to the need for our products. After working for Amoena (I’ve been here 14 years), I had naturally given some thought to “What if it were me? What if I got breast cancer?” When confronted with the actual decision, there was no wavering about the mastectomy; the only thing I could think of was being here for my son who was only 8 years old at the time. I felt like working at Amoena gave me an advantage because I had so many people and resources to guide me in the right direction.
AL:  How did your work inform your decisions about having reconstruction or not?
DL: I have been extremely fortunate to have an outstanding medical team at Dana Farber in Boston, and that has made my decisions easier. I was able to spend the time/effort to research my options. I felt reconstruction was the best option for my lifestyle, and it certainly helped that I knew the range of quality products available to women – with or without reconstruction.
MR: My experience at Amoena was a helpful factor in electing to have a bilateral mastectomy, even though I only had cancer in the right breast. I felt that at my age reconstruction would be a better fit for me long-term, but I always knew that I had Amoena breast forms “in my back pocket.”
AL:  Are you using/have you used Amoena products?
DL: Definitely. I fell in love with our post-surgical camisole (2105) immediately. The hospital dressed me in something else, but luckily I was immediately able to change into Amoena’s cami! Now in the middle of the reconstruction process, I’m using our PurFit adjustable form. It’s exactly what the market needed – I’m delighted that we developed this product. My go-to bra has been our front-closure Frances; it’s easy and comfortable and remains my weekend bra.
MR: I have had the best products for every stage. I have been wearing the 2105 camisole since my surgery ten months ago. This was a saving grace when I had the drainage tubes – I don’t think anything can prepare you for that experience (!), but the cami and our lanyard-style drain holder sure made it more manageable.
AL: What would you say to readers about Amoena, with your unique perspective?
DL: Amoena offers innovative, quality products that contribute directly to your quality of life in the days, months and years following breast cancer… but I believe what sets us apart from the rest is our people. You will never meet a warmer, more generous group – we are all very passionate about what we do.
MR: I would highly recommend using all of the Amoena resources, online or in any of our literature, to help with questions or concerns you have. We have very dedicated and knowledgeable people. Don’t be afraid to ask questions about your options, like breast forms – and speak up to your doctors.
---------- 
Exclusively online: AL: How will this year’s holiday season feel different from last year’s, for you? Is your perspective shifted a bit with time and some distance from initial diagnosis? 
MR: To be honest, I don’t even remember the Holidays last year due to being diagnosed just before the Holiday season and having surgery just nine days before Christmas. I had shut down emotionally. This year I think I appreciate all the little things much more. I am just happy to be here with my family and loved ones, and look forward to seeing everyone enjoying the season. I used to really enjoy trying to surprise everyone with what I had picked out as gifts, and now I think it's more important to just enjoy the company of loved ones and life experiences. I feel like when I want to do something, or my son wants to do something, it’s more of an attitude of, "Why not? Let’s try it," because you never know what tomorrow holds -- there are no guarantees. So with that said, I wish everyone a wonderful Holiday season and ask you to hug all your loved ones and let them know how you much you care about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment