Monday, November 26, 2012


Survivors look back at their battle for life

Trusted article source icon
Wednesday, November 21, 2012
Profile image for South Wales Evening Post
THREE years ago Katie Patterson from Gorseinon was a fit 20-year-old with no previous health problems when she was struck down by acute lymphoblastic leuk- aemia. A bone marrow transplant was needed and her older sister Lowri stepped forward to save the day. Chemotherapy also played its part.
She said: ''After the first two weeks of treatment I was asked if I wanted to be admitted into hospital, I replied with a big emphatic 'No'." Driving to the hospital was exhausting and I spent most of the twenty minute journey with my head in a bowl, but it was still much better than staying in hospital. I found that having to get out of bed, get washed, dressed and out of the house every day really helped me stay active and positive. This I appreciate isn't an option for everyone.
  •  
''By now I was constantly feeling nauseous. I had to focus hard for an hour or so, in order to make myself want to eat. My poor mum would cook a meal she thought I'd like. Then by the time it was ready I'd start feeling sick again. During this month my diet pretty much consisted of lots of water and chicken super noodles. It was the only food I could eat without making me feel ill and the only meal I could really taste. Not even a McDonald's would do the trick.
''It was so hard sometimes to eat when I felt so poorly, I couldn't taste anything for a start.
''However I just kept telling myself I needed food and fluid to survive when I was healthy, so I certainly needed it now. My family were so supportive and constantly reminded me to eat; which I eventually managed to do most days.
''My hair slowly started to fall out. I remember Mum, Lowri and a friend washing it over the bath. So much of it was falling out to be honest I think it was harder for them than me. I'd already accepted this was going to happen so it wasn't too upsetting really.
''Towards the end of the four weeks of chemotherapy I decided to buy a wig. I had two; one was free from the National Health Service (NHS) and the other we bought. I ended up only wearing them once. The day I bought the wigs home I decided I should shave off all my remaining hair. I wasn't devastated; I actually just looked in the mirror and laughed. Looking back it was an unusual situation to say the least.
''My friend Natalie was shaving my hair while Dad was hoovering my head.
''I didn't want to make a mess on the floor. This really makes us all laugh now when we reminisce about my treatment. I didn't feel comfortable wearing the wigs, so I finally decided not to wear them.
Gower mum Kate Beynon underwent 18 months of chemotherapy and radiotherapy and went through the menopause twice to beat cancer.
In the book she says: ''So began the war, a battle that I'd have to fight alone, my only weapons being chemotherapy and radiotherapy. I was now very frightened.
I didn't know anyone who'd had cancer, all I'd heard was stories of people who'd died from it. Books like this one weren't available either and the internet was just a distant dream. Not that I'd recommend anyone believes what they read on the internet either.
Soon dozens of Get Well cards arrived along with bouquets of flowers and endless phone calls from friends and family members, all offering their support.
''Suddenly my life had changed and was so different. I noticed through time some people would cross the street if they saw me walking in their direction, as they simply didn't know what to say. I drew strength from all the cards and good wishes. I received well over a hundred and today they are treasured in a photo album, along with various articles and notes about my story.
''Treatment started with chemotherapy. I was to begin with eight courses followed by three solid weeks of radiotherapy. Then unfortunately I'd have more chemotherapy just to finish off. The staff at the hospital were brilliant, especially the Macmillan nurses who explained what side effects I may get and how best to cope with the treatment.
''The first dose of chemotherapy certainly wasn't what I'd expected. I was fitted with a line into my vein, which was flushed with saline. Then I was given steroids and an anti-nausea drug and then finally the chemotherapy.
''The steroids made me so hungry that I couldn't wait for the lunch trolley to come around. I had to have the chicken dinner which wasn't a wise move on my part really; it's strange the things I've remembered. It took around an hour before the deed was done and the chemotherapy was flowing round my body. On the way home I was still hungry so stopped at my local newsagent and purchased half a pound of liquorice torpedoes, another bad move. The anti-nausea drugs had a shelf life of about three hours. Let's just say I'm now unable to face hospital chicken dinners or liquorice torpedoes without my stomach turning!
The Cancer Survivors Club will have its city launch at Waterstones on December 1 between 2-5pm.
http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/Survivors-look-battle-life/story-17380837-detail/story.html

No comments:

Post a Comment