Saturday, January 19, 2013

NAVIGATING CANCER...GREAT RESOURCE


Hi my name is Glenda, I am new at this was diagnosed in June, stage 1 breast cancer. Had a double masectomy in July with reconstruction. I am on anastrozole. Not having any problems right now that I know of. Just wanted to get out here and see what is going on.
  • Post #1
  • Mon Dec 10, 2012
Did you have to have chemo or radiation?
  • Post #2
  • Sat Dec 15, 2012
No I did not have to have chemo or radiation. I chose to have a double masectomy. May have a slight bump in my path. Possible infection on left side. Will see how I do on antibiotics. Am a little scared. But have been able to not focus on that and keep going
  • Post #3
  • Sun Dec 16, 2012
I too choose double mystectomy and had several infections. Finally had to go on cipro for 40 days. Haven’t had an infection since.
  • Post #4
  • Sat Dec 29, 2012
Hi my name is Cela I am having a double mastectomy on Jan 22 I am stage 0 but with severe ADH and low DCIS strong history of breast cancer my sister passed at age 33 I am 37 any suggestions to get prepared where could I get special bras should I get a recliner I am having a bilateral mastectomy with DIEP FLAP not sure if to use my nipple and urela or have tattoo any suggestions thank you
  • Post #5
  • Mon Jan 7, 2013
Hi, My Name is Debbie and I was diagonsed with Breast Cancer 3 months ago. I had a double Masectomy right away and chose not to have reconstruction. I had not problems with infection I am on Arimidex and have bouts of neasua every day. Some days are better than others but I fight neasua everyday. Where I live, we have a shop called “Perfect Fit” that sells al kinds of apperal for Breast Cancer. I sure there is a shop in your town, you just have to ask your Doctor.
  • Post #6
  • Tue Jan 8, 2013
Hi, I am Mary, I had the bilateral masectomy, then a year later I had the DIEP Flap procedure. The masectomy on its own was fine, I recovered well from it. The DIEP went well, I was not able to stand up straight until ten days after. I was told to walk, walk and walk, I did not do to much the first week of which of should have, but the second week did lots better. I have a jogging stroller, so I ended up putting a rock in the bottom of it to hold it down and off I would go. Got over what those passing by thought. Re special bra’s. If the DIEP Flap is following on the heals of the mastecomy, you will leave the hospital with a sports bra that the Dr supplies. Then I went to a regular bra after a while. You need to wear something supportive. Good Luck, I will tell you what I did on the day of the bilateral surgery. My friend and I got clear labels and we typed up sayings like, so long farewell, so long girls, and before I went in the put the labels on my now long lost girls and the Dr got a good laugh, the nurses tired to scrub the ink off until I told them they were clear labels. Good Luck..
  • Post #7
  • Tue Jan 8, 2013
I slept in a recliner for about 6 weeks, it was the only way I could sleep! It will be very hard for you to lie down. I also had a bed that can move up and down and that helped after the first 6 weeks. They took my nipples and urela because the doctor was afraid to use them in case of infection.
  • Post #8
  • Tue Jan 8, 2013
What is a DIEP Flap?
  • Post #9
  • Tue Jan 8, 2013
The DIEP Flap procedure is the latest and greatest, well it has been around for awhile, reconstruction procedure. What they do is take the fat from either your abdomen, hips or thighs to make replacement breasts. Hope I said that right. They take blood vessels from the abdomen and reconnect them with the blood vessels in your chest, breast area. I am so grateful that I was able to have this procedure, I truly did not want implants. I have had no problems whatsoever. I believe it is finding a plastic surgeon who truly knows what they are doing. I am sure there is more to it than what I have explained.

  • Post #10
  • Tue Jan 8, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment