Monday, February 25, 2013

CREATIVITY & THE PATIENT/SURVIVOR


#BCSM 2/18/13: Breathe, Create, Share, Move

The weekly #BCSM tweetchat is one of the most impressive patient/survivor communities on the web, but if you miss the Monday-at-9 p.m. period, it's hard to parse so much wonderful stuff. This is my attempt, based on the back-and-forth from the Feb. 18 chat, on creativity. Here's how it kicked off:
  1. We're going to talk about the light of creativity - how the arts transform experience. #bcsm
  2. This was well-received: the BCSM is full of artists:
  3. i started a site for anyone who wants to share with the cancer community cancerpoet.com #bcsm
  4. Hi I'm Jackie DCIS veteran, blogger, author, write poetry & so excited about tonight's topic. If you are new, welcome! #bcsm
  5. So it was an easy segue to question one:
  6. Q1: How did the arts (writing, painting, poetry - any form) help you process your cancer experience? Past or present. #bcsm
  7. Q1. Creativity comes from the soul. The soul can't have cancer, so it's free to create if you wish to tap into it. #bcsm
  8. The answers were varied. Writing was popular.
  9. A1: I found writing to be very therapeutic both during my treatments (journaling) and after for processing. #bcsm
  10. #bcsm q1 I blogged during my cancer treatment & it helped me be 100% honest. No happy face, just myself, which was bald & sarcastic.
  11. Q1: I had a purse-size journal I kept (and still keep) with me. At first it was for doctor appts, important info, then as time ... #bcsm
  12. Q1: Writing has preserved my sanity. Analysis, reflection, humor: creating all of it makes it possible to face stage iv reality. #bcsm
  13. As was music ...
  14. Q1 I relied on music when diagnosed & trying to decide what to do. Completely obsessively replayed favorite kd lang CD, couple others#bcsm
  15. Q1 music has always been and always will be a therapy for me. I connected with the Hawaiian music community that had my back#bcsm
  16. Q1 I reconnected with the themes of my adolesence in Ireland - the music and the poetry. Lots of Van Morrison and Seamus Heaney.#bcsm
  17. And poetry ... 
  18. Q1 poetry also started speaking to me again & I started writing it again after a 20 year break. #bcsm
  19. Q1. During my 3 cancers, I consumed art (music, poetry, visual) to help soothe my soul, and I've created art to do the same. #bcsm
  20. And pottery ...
  21. #bcsm q1: I found amazing refuge in a paint your own pottery studios, have visited many during recovery. Owners are compassionate and kind.
  22. And the visual arts ... 
  23. Q1. My 3rd cancer used collage to express self and create beautiful things. Did it w 2 other survivors in informal group, on our own.#bcsm
  24. i colored in color books, i wrote, did photography (Instagram-to-wood transfers). it all kept me present moment & outta my head#bcsm
  25. Q1. I have used collage, paint, ceramic sculpture. ANd, knitting and crocheting still serve as meditation #bcsm

No comments:

Post a Comment