Monday, February 25, 2013

Navigating Cancer


Mastectomy

Hello, my name is Rose and I’m 42 years old, I have had a Mastectomy over a year ago and I was thinking of getting reconstruction. I’m very nervous about going through another surgery but is it worth it? I’m wondering how long is recovery and if it’s very painful?
  • Post #1
  • Tue Jan 29, 2013
Hi Rose, I am 40 years old and had a Mastectomy April 2012. I am also thinking of getting reconstruction soon. I have the same anxiety about going through another surgery. I was told I would have the tissue expanders put in first and once I reach the desired size, another surgery to replace the expanders with the implant.
  • Post #2
  • Tue Jan 29, 2013
Hello Ellvenus, I have not had a consultation yet so I wanted to get some feedback on which surgery would be the best or how long recovery would be? Have they spoke to you about how long recovery would be? Or how painful it might be? I know its another major surgery.
  • Post #3
  • Tue Jan 29, 2013
Sorry, no. I have not had consultation yet either.
  • Post #4
  • Wed Jan 30, 2013
Oh o.k. thanks good luck with everything.
  • Post #5
  • Wed Jan 30, 2013
I have had the reconstructive surgery. They took the skin needed from my stomach. Surgery/recovery was about a week due to the tummy tuck. Please interview MANY plastic surgeons. You only get one shot at the apple apparently. I got a bad dr and no one else would “fix” his work. I’m not talking cosmetically. Everything he did had to be removed. One expander migrated down under my arm pit! I finally found a wonderful dr that does repair other drs mistakes. Don’t expect to look like you did before.
  • Post #6
  • Sat Feb 2, 2013
There’s a lot involved with reconstructive surgeries following mastectomies and it is very important to consult with several " board certified" plastic and reconstructive surgeons! I’ve been in the field as an RN for over 30 years and have seen a lot of surgeries. Often the best plans and surgeries need to be redone or revised and not necessarily due to anyone’s fault. If you don’t have surgeons in your area you might look into some larger medical centers where they have teams of surgeons who do these reconstructions on a regular basis. I’m almost 1 year post mastectomy for stage lll A metastatic cancer and chose to do all my chemo and radiation first so my body wouldn’t have any “foreign” materials to also contend with during the treatments. By waiting, I also have come to terms with my different body image and can now appreciate not needing a prosthesis to fill out my bra in the future. I know it’ll never look the same but I know I’ll look better and the added bonus is the lift on the opposite side to rejuvenate my figure. I’ve consulted with several plastic surgeons and weighed the pros and cons of their recommendations to make my final decision. You need to feel comfortable with the surgeon and be able to discuss your wants and fears with them. Getting to know as much detail as possible about the various phases of your treatment will also help you to feel more in tuned with the entire process so you have a favorable outcome. I’m planning my surgery for later this year and though a year ago it would have been the last thing I’d plan on, I’m looking forward to the procedure. Hope this helps.
  • Post #7
  • Sat Feb 2, 2013
I had a mastectomy over 10 years ago at age 39. I did not have reconstruction until about a year and a half later to give myself time to recover and my skin to heal after chemo and radiation. Also, my oncologist told me that my cancer had a very high rate of return and I had several lymph nodes involved. Therefore, I decided to have the other breast removed as well. I did it all at the same time. It was more painful than the first surgery and I had four drains. I think I spent two nights in the hospital, maybe three? I don’t recall exactly how long it was to recover from surgery but don’t think it was any longer than the first. I interviewed many plastic surgeons and women about their experience before choosing. For me, saline implants seemed the best option because I am too thin to use my stomach. One doctor tried to convince me to do a Lattisimus dorsi transfer but I did not want another scar or to lose muscle function. The first few injections of 60 cc were fine but then it was very painful. So the next time I was prepared and I took pain meds and told the MD to use fewer ccs and it made a huge difference. This is getting long so I will leave off other details but feel free to ask specific questions. I am very glad that I had it done! Look great in clothes and don’t have to wear a bra :-) I agree that you don’t look the same undressed but neither did I before. I like being symmetrical and not worrying about a prosthesis. Btw it only hurt on the cancer side, from the radiation. My friend who didn’t have radiation did not complain at all. Blessings to you as you make you decision.
  • Post #8
  • Sat Feb 2, 2013
On January 22, 2013 I had a bilateral mastectomy I left from the hospital with four drains and expanders once I got home I decided not to takse anymore Percocet ive been just taking 2 of Tylenol 500 pain wise a lot of discomfort on my back ive been sleeping on a lift recliner which has helped me a lot pain so far hasnt been something major that I haven’t been able to tolerate I always find the strength knowing God is with me we have to face our fears
  • Post #9
  • Sat Feb 2, 2013
I had the mastectomy and the transflap reconstruction all at one time. Very painful! My core is weak. It has been 3 years ago. Do not expect that it’ll look like before cancer or to have the sensation. But I do believe it is better this than to mess with prosthetic breasts. I’m 44 years, breasts are still important, if I was way older I probably wouldn’t get reconstruction. I had great surgeons that talked me through the processe

No comments:

Post a Comment