Wednesday, March 27, 2013

CancerConnect.com Daily Digest Discussion


Here's your daily digest, SusansSpecial
Have something to say? Click here to post.
Items you may find interesting
jeffhupert replied to discussion "Hello everyone. I am new to the site and still trying to [...]" in groupMelanoma  at 10:43 pm, March 26th, 2013
I wish you good health and good luck. I don't post here often, but have found others' words to be quite helpful. Although not usually paticularly applicable to my own condition, it has been frankly uplifting to watch people do their best to help strangers in difficult times. I hope the kindness of the participants here gives you at least the same encouragement as it gives me. And so many people have it worse that i am unable to generate much self pity. I still cannot really imagine having a child with a serious cancer. My own story is not as long or as successful ( thus far) as your own. I was diagnosed last fall with stage III. Melanoma. (T4N2M0 at this point.) Being [...] - Reply to this post - View
rosievan replied to discussion "Hello everyone ~. New to the group and looking for info. I [...]" in groupThyroid Cancer  at 9:58 pm, March 26th, 2013
Hello Faith ~ and Eternus I apologize for not getting back to you. Hope ur appt went well. I met with Dr Kumar and was very impressed and I feel good being in her hands. I have surgery scheduled for April 17. Removal of entire thyroid. I need to be back at Roswell on the 4th for scans and bloodwork and then again the 8th for anesthiologist consult and again with Dr Kumar. Still trying to process all that's going to happen and all the stuff after surgery. Thank you for checking with me. I appreciate it. I try to be strong and all tell me not to worry. Little hard not to! I have 4 children and am trying to keep things together for [...] - Reply to this post - View
JB'swife replied to update "Hello. I am new to this site and just astounded that my [...]"   at 6:21 pm, March 26th, 2013
I am so sorry to hear about your friend Steve. - Reply to this post - View
mantequilla replied to discussion "I am 56 and just found out in January that I have [...]" in group Ovarian Cancer  at 3:59 pm, March 26th, 2013
March, 2012, cancer was found in my omentum and stomach cavity which has metastasized from the breast cancer. - Reply to this post - View
mrauthor replied to discussion "What to expect with post surgery chemo Last year, I turned 50 [...]" in group Colon Cancer  at 3:06 pm, March 26th, 2013
Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. It is great you were proactive about your health to get the colonoscopy. I am a caregiver myself so am not speaking from personal experience, but my friend thought the intensity of the chemo treatment before & after to be roughly the same, but I do think it can depend a bit on the combination of drugs being used. I have heard from others post-surgery is worse because your body is trying to recover from the surgery as well. Hope this helps. Stay strong and persevere! - Reply to this post - View
Joseph Buteau replied to discussion "Stem Cell Transplant for Myeloma" in group Multiple Myeloma  at 3:00 pm, March 26th, 2013
That would be great if she could get into remission. There is considerable debate as to whether it is wise to go completely off treatment or to stay on a maintenance program to better prevent recurrence. I was taken off all chemo at Yale and stayed in remission for quite some time. Now I am being seen at Dana Farber in Boston as we have moved to Cape Cod and they feel strongly that once remission is achieved you should be on a maintenance program of some kind-They usually start with low dose dex and Revlimid. Its kind of up to you and your oncologist to decide and how your mother feels about it. Dex is no fun and there are always side effects. For [...] - Reply to this post - < a href='http://cancerconnect.com/reply/that-would-be-great-if-she-could-get' title='View Thread / Permalink'>View
mrauthor replied to discussion "I am 56 and just found out in January that I have [...]" in group Ovarian Cancer  at 2:55 pm, March 26th, 2013
This made me smile. So glad you have such a wonderful and supportive daughter :) - Reply to this post - View
mrauthor replied to update "Hello. I am new to this site and just astounded that my [...]"   at 2:54 pm, March 26th, 2013
Very sorry to hear you are going through this. Stressful & tragic situations can sometimes bring out unfounded emotions from people. I agree with the others' sentiment on getting the wills done. Prayers for you. - Reply to this post - View
corymccarty replied to update "Hello. I am new to this site and just astounded that my [...]"   at 2:40 pm, March 26th, 2013
You are certainly lucky to have each other. I'm sorry his children are so unsupportive. They need to be helping you help him. Going to get wills done seems like a good idea. Prayers. - Reply to this post - View
corymccarty replied to discussion "I am 56 and just found out in January that I have [...]" in group Ovarian Cancer  at 2:31 pm, March 26th, 2013
Yes, my daughter is getting her hair cut short, too. I am lucky to have her. She will be able to help me with my recovery and treatment time. - Reply to this post - View
corymccarty replied to discussion "I am 56 and just found out in January that I have [...]" in group Ovarian Cancer  at 2:26 pm, March 26th, 2013
I'm sorry to hear that. I hope things are going well for you. Were the ovarian tumors both benign? - Reply to this post - View
corymccarty replied to discussion "I am 56 and just found out in January that I have [...]" in group Ovarian Cancer  at 2:18 pm, March 26th, 2013
Thank you for the suggestion of eating 5 small meals. I think that will be easier for me. - Reply to this post - View
Faith replied to discussion "Clinical Trials" in group Roswell Park  at 2:17 pm, March 26th, 2013
Using Radiation Therapy to Shock Kidney Cancer Cells Into Submission New clinical trials are opening soon (Spring and Summer) at Roswell Park for those with kidney cancer. You can watch (or read) Roswell's Dr. Thomas Schwaab discussing the details at: http://www.roswellpark.org/cancertalk/201303/using-radiation-therapy-shock-kidney-cancer-cells-submission - Reply to this post - View
cmom29 replied to update "Blood Clot Behind Port"   at 1:31 pm, March 26th, 2013
I also have a port, "Power Port", implanted in Oct. 2011 for infusions for treatment for my NHL. I was receiving infusions 2 days a week, once a month for 6 months. When that treatment ended, I started on i day every other month of Rituxan. Once that phase began, my oncologist insisted that I come in to have my port flushed each month that I don't have an infusion. He warned me that the port had to kept clear and that he had a very serious complication with a patient who had it done less frequently. She had major swelling in her face and chest and had to have the port removed immediately. I can understand reluctance to have a new port implanted after [...] - Reply to this post - View
hensley.v replied to discussion "Stem Cell Transplant for Myeloma" in group Multiple Myeloma  at 12:14 pm, March 26th, 2013
Thank you Joe, for your reply. My mother is responding very well to her current chemo treatment, we have another option to consider. If the doctor get her number to it's lowest point he is considering taking her off chemo completely, I hope and pray that this is what will happen - remission? right? - Reply to this post - View
hensley.v replied to discussion "Stem Cell Transplant for Myeloma" in group Multiple Myeloma  at 12:10 pm, March 26th, 2013
Thank you for sharring your information and experience with us, it does help. - Reply to this post - View
hensley.v replied to discussion "Stem Cell Transplant for Myeloma" in group Multiple Myeloma  at 12:07 pm, March 26th, 2013
My mother's doctor had informed us that, since she is responding very well with the current treatment. He would like to continue her treatment for another month or two before taking another look at her numbers. He would like to get her numbers to the lowest point possible and taking her off (chemo) treatment completely and then monitor her counts. Has anyone experienced this? - Reply to this post - View
hensley.v replied to discussion "Maintenance Therapy for Myeloma" in group Multiple Myeloma  at 11:42 am, March 26th, 2013
I am curious, has anyone every been taken off of chemo meds for MM? Without any transplant...this patient is responding very well to chemo, numbers are excellent. - Reply to this post - View
Faith replied to discussion "Welcome all new members!" in group Roswell Park  at 11:37 am, March 26th, 2013
@sacoxford Hi Scott, Welome to the Roswell Park online community! We're here to share info, support each other, and make connections with folks who really do understand what you're going through. You can post to only the Roswell Community (on the Roswell page) or to all members of CancerConnect in one of the national cancer type or support pages. You can also send private messages to an individual - just click on their picture, and then on the private message button at the top of their page. I am the moderator for the Roswell group, and if I can help you find your way around the community (or Roswell), just let me know. - Reply to this post - View
Perry Lowell Bent replied to discussion "Scanxiety" in group GIST  at 10:43 am, March 26th, 2013
SeattleChris, I did the warm water thing, and she didn't have much trouble! - Reply to this post - View

No comments:

Post a Comment