Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Daily digest for March 3rd, 2013 [CancerConnect]


Here's your daily digest, SusansSpecial
Have something to say? Click here to post.
Items you may find interesting
carolcowan replied to discussion "Hi everyone! Sifting through some articles, I came across this very interesting [...]" in group Waldenström's Macroglobulinemia  at 11:49 pm, March 2nd, 2013
Susan, Be very careful about advice from well-meaning friends, unless they happen to be your doctors. Any treatment, chemotherapy, or dietary measure that is taken to kill cancer cells affects some healthy cells, as well. Your body needs to be within a small range on the pH scale, raising or lowering your pH without tests to closely monitor your level can cause serious illness or kill you. Altering your pH level can also interfere with any medication you take for any health concern. - Reply to this post - View
dottieb replied to discussion "Status after bilateral mastectomy: NED, Remission or Cured?" in groupBreast Cancer  at 11:16 pm, March 2nd, 2013
Jaimebrie, you are funny! At first I couldn't figure out who this Ned person was you were talking about dancing with! Got it now! Yes, I'd like to dance with NED too! - Reply to this post - View
Lise Laberge replied to discussion "Anyone going through Folfirinox Treatment?" in group Pancreatic Cancer  at 10:34 pm, March 2nd, 2013
I was diagnosed in October 2012 with stage IV inoperable of course. I am on Folfirenox since December. I have had 6 treatments up until now and after the second treatment the neurological side-effects, e.g.: numbness in fingers/feet, trouble swallowing, articulating; they reduced the strength of the Irinotecan portion of the treatment. My side-effects vary in intensity from treatment to treatment, but always include; exhaustion, severe night sweats, dehydration, diarrhea, abdominal pain, cramps and gas, flu like symptoms, sensitivity to cold, metallic taste, cannot taste many foods. The last treatment made me totally exhausted cor 5 days straight where I could not do much of anything and the 6th day, severe diarrhea, cramping. It was the worse one yet and I am worried that they [...] - Reply to this post - View
Norma replied to discussion "Hi everyone! Sifting through some articles, I came across this very interesting [...]" in group Waldenström's Macroglobulinemia  at 2:54 pm, March 2nd, 2013
Susan, you evaluated that well, and imo were right to dismiss that claim ( even if it worked for someone) or any claim until its value can be demonstrated through good statistics. Cancer cells by and large are not rogue beasts, but instead are simply juvenile cells that refuse to grow up. The chemistry is complicated and is not universal - Reply to this post - View
Norma replied to discussion "Hi everyone! Sifting through some articles, I came across this very interesting [...]" in group Waldenström's Macroglobulinemia  at 2:27 pm, March 2nd, 2013
Hi Chris and all Thanks for asking for our thoughts on the article by Wendy Vogel. The intent of the article, and, no doubt, your intent, was to discuss internet-candy temptations of scientifically unproven cures. For those who have witnessed friends who have undergone treatments but have suffered more and longer because of the treatments themselves, any prospect of a treatment which does not have bad side-effects could be alluring. It is this group which is most vulnerable to failure, dismay and loss of time/money. For those who have illness which is considered uncurable, either because cures have yet been found, or because their illness has progressed beyond the point where conventional (i.e. medical doctor) wisdom and FDA-approved treatments could help, a high percentage might [...] - Reply to this post - View
SeattleChris replied to discussion "Scanxiety" in group GIST  at 1:35 pm, March 2nd, 2013
Is this worry about what it may show? or claustrophobia? If it's anxiety about results, I never get over some level of anxiety until I know what the results are. But I tell myself I want to know earlier than later if I need a new plan to deal with it. Knowing one way or the other is all good. With both my recurrences, we caught them early - stage 1 new BC primaries & I am very thankful for the tests letting me know early. One I had no clue I had developed, the other caused pain symptoms just before I had my annual scheduled again. Having been through it once already, I was able to skip the first time terror & thought instead, [...] - Reply to this post - View
jaimebrie replied to update "Hello all, I am newly diagnosed patient with breast cancer. I am [...]"   at 12:46 pm, March 2nd, 2013
Hi Roselyn, I want to send you my prayers and all good positive thoughts. I went through 6 months of chemo for triple negative breast cancer and had the most wonderful team and chemo nurse. Trust your team and know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Stay strong and positive, because the chemo will save your life. I brought a portable DVD player with funny movies to watch during my treatments, and also my iPod, both of which really helped. I wish you all the best. Jaimebrie - Reply to this post - View
cms123 replied to update "Hello all, I am newly diagnosed patient with breast cancer. I am [...]"   at 9:55 am, March 2nd, 2013
I have HER2 breast cancer and have had 3 chemo treatments. All is going well and I am tolerating it well. A bit tired, which is to be expected. Good luck with your treatments. You are in good hands and they have come a long way with breast cancer. - Reply to this post - View
Roselyn replied to update "Hello all, I am newly diagnosed patient with breast cancer. I am [...]"   at 9:45 am, March 2nd, 2013
thanks for your kind words Julie Roselyn - Reply to this post - View
Roselyn replied to update "Hello all, I am newly diagnosed patient with breast cancer. I am [...]"   at 9:39 am, March 2nd, 2013
Hi Helen, I had a mastectomy done on dec 18 2012 . But i had to wait to do a cellsearch blood test a pet scan and ecocardiam. So now I start chemo on Monday. - Reply to this post - View
julie m replied to discussion "Status after bilateral mastectomy: NED, Remission or Cured?" in groupBreast Cancer  at 8:40 am, March 2nd, 2013
NED Is my best friend! - Reply to this post - View
julie m replied to update "Hello all, I am newly diagnosed patient with breast cancer. I am [...]"   at 8:38 am, March 2nd, 2013
Hi Roselyn - please know you are among many here who have taken this journey. It's different for everyone- but they have made so much progress in making chemo less of a struggle . Many keep up with their regular routines, with just minor changes to rest. But do not get discouraged! In the scheme of things, it is a short period of time and will save your life!! Good luck and keep in touch! - Reply to this post - View
cmom29 replied to update "Just joined this website. Was diagnosed with follicular [...]"   at 7:56 am, March 2nd, 2013
Several years ago as I was trying to save myself from a fall down a flight of stairs, I grabbed a bannister and it ruptured my spleen. I also managed to fracture a couple of ribs. Not such a great save. Interestingly, they biopsied my spleen and found lymphoma cells. I had multiple tests done, including a bone marrow biopsy, and no lymphoma was discovered anywhere else. I thought I was pretty lucky. My new diagnosis came some 6 years later. - Reply to this post - View
nl2424 replied to discussion "@christinecallahan520 Welcome to Cancer Connect; i am one of the [...]" in group ALL, AML and MDS  at 7:23 am, March 2nd, 2013
My husband was diagnosed with AML June 2010. Went thur induction fine and got great results..remission, then they did one round of consolidation. At the very end of this treatment he got Typhlitis-a very serious intestinal problem and was in ICUS for 10 days....we were then told he could ever do chemo again due to that situation and therefore was no longer a candidate for a bone marrow transplant. The follow up bone marrow test still showed remission....no leukemia blasts. That was now 2 1/2 yrs ago and his #s are still low normal , the only real low is platelets at 90,000. Which they are not worried about... My question is: when do we expect the next shoe to drop? Should we be prepared [...] - Reply to this post - View
sruffini replied to update "Hello all, I am newly diagnosed patient with breast cancer. I am [...]"   at 5:52 am, March 2nd, 2013
Hi, first, there is light at the end of this......what is your treatment plan and where are you being treated. I went through a lumpectomy, chemo and radiation and never stopped working. There is so much help and support out there for you. - Reply to this post - View
jeanie456 replied to discussion "Herceptin question: Hi folks! I'm wondering if any of you had to [...]" in group Breast Cancer  at 5:33 am, March 2nd, 2013
Hi friends~ Thank you all again for sharing your experiences. Cancer Connect is such a wonderful way to share and appreciate common experiences. My oncologist checked with the cardiologist and since my EF is stable at 54%, I will continue my herceptin and have a repeat cardiogram after the next 2 infustions. I have only 5 left to go to complete the year and am hoping my heart is good to me. If so, June 12th should be my last infusion. I appreciate the many blessings I have been given every day. One of you asked if I had thinning hair from the herceptin. Not the case with me. My hair is just growing back in from the AC that ended in October. It is [...] - Reply to this post -&n bsp;View
helen replied to update "Hello all, I am newly diagnosed patient with breast cancer. I am [...]"   at 4:19 am, March 2nd, 2013
Hi Roselyn, Are you having chemo without surgery to remove tumour or prior to surgery, is your cancer primary ?. Helen - Reply to this post - View
da2218 replied to update "Just joined this website. Was diagnosed with follicular [...]"   at 2:38 am, March 2nd, 2013
Glad to hear you are doing well. Curious as to what happened to your spleen? - Reply to this post - View
deannabalducci posted:  at 12:15 am, March 2nd, 2013
my boyfriend has stage 3 rectal cancer! went through kimo, surgery kimo and still having a hard time leaving in the bathroom. anybdy has some addvice! deeducci4u@yahoo.com anytime! - Reply to this post - View

No comments:

Post a Comment