Saturday, April 6, 2013

Hollye Jacobs’ Inspiring Cancer Blog

 
The Silver Pen Beginnings

The Silver Pen Beginnings

The inspiration for the The Silver Pen (formerly known as BrooksideBuzz.com) is to document my physical, mental, emotional, spiritual and oftentimes hilarious journey through, with, over and around breast cancer. To clarify:  breast cancer isn’t funny.  Not at all.  However, my journey?  Frequently guffaw inducing. Another clarification: I prefer to call breast cancer FBC. The “F” stands prominently for the F-Bomb. I’ve dropped quite a few F-Bombs since the diagnosis so, without being overtly crude, just know that when you see an “F” in my writing, you can safely assume what it stands for. I believe that breast cancer happens within the ecosystem of family, friends and community. Consequently, I decided to take the holistic approach and write about breast cancer with style, a sense of humor and Silver Linings. It is important to me that you hear about this journey from my husband (from this point forward, he will …


 
After the Breast Cancer Diagnosis: Now What?
Diagnosis: DONE. Next steps: Information gathering and making a PLAN. The Husband and I are planners. Good planners. After a weekend of diagnosis digestion, we set up a series of meetings with doctors in Santa Barbara: oncology, plastic surgery, radiation oncology and “my” surgeon. Pages and pages of notes, full of various opinions and strategies. I was seriously impressed with all of the physicians we met. They were all punctual, professional and articulate: a real Silver Lining. During the information gathering week, I had a PET-PEM scan (a scanning system that provides functional imaging specifically for breast cancer detection [1. http://www.archrad.com] )  to try to figure out what is going on with the lesions in the left breast and an enlarged lymph node. Did I forget to mention that lymph node? Sorry. It jumped out on the MRI, showing activity, and definitely warrants further investigation. The PET-PEM was inconclusive, meaning that …

No comments:

Post a Comment